Monday, January 3, 2011

Peer Pressure to the Rescue!

Had to have a little chat with myself on the way to practice about sticking with the plan and not chickening out because it was so cold outside! Since these self-talks rarely work, I had back up peer pressure waiting for me--my only source of discipline. I arrived to see Jen (secretly hoping, Im sure;) waiting to see if Judy and I were going to wimp out. No luck. We all showed! More proof peer pressure works! lol

The water was not toasty and certainly not the 80* I was hoping-no steam off the water was my first clue, however I quickly warmed up in the first 100 yds.

Swam my warm up with the varsity girls. I always have fun when I swim with the team, lotsa chatting and laughing--my kind of workout!
400FR
300BR
200BK
100 R-IM
After warm-up I was ready to get out! 1000yds, I felt was enough especially since I haven't done a lick of swimming since the last Tri on 10.10.10. Plus, I knew what was in store for them (like 5000 more yards;).

I started my migration down to the end of the pool where the ladder was and where, more importantly, the door to the team room was located so I could make a mad dash inside to my strategically placed towel. As I slid under the lane lines, I happened upon a lane of learn to swim youth group hanging on the wall. I popped in for a listen as the coach gave the set and quickly decided I could do it! Granted, it required zero effort on my part--not proud, just sayn!
5x50 @ 1:15

OK, D-for done. After that little mini-set, I kept cruising toward the shallow end and made my way over to my tri-buddies in the adult lane. They were working on their warm down, perfect--more time to chat! Dreading the getting out part of this gig and knowing I still had to be on deck coaching the next hour, I told myself I could log 400yds more to make 1650. But, without a buddy, I was quickly distracted and talked myself right out of it after 2X100@ 1:45-guess that was my warm down.

It was a good first day back. Didn't plan to swim much yardage, actually did more than expected, thought I should ease back into this swim piece. My goal for the week was 1650 or one mile...figured good enough for the first week back. I altered my goal after completing the warm-up, but then didn't reach it and only out of pure laziness. Shame. Ended with 1450yds. Shoulda, woulda, coulda completed 200yd to make the mile, but being the minimalist that I am, didn't. Maybe Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment