Saturday, April 9, 2011

Extrinsic Motivation

I finally signed up for my next triathlon! I had been putting it off since life during swim season gives me so little down time for anything, especially training. And, since I really don't enjoy exercise, am not intrinsically motivated to workout, nor persuaded by the need to live a healthy life, I know I have to have a goal to work toward! Sadly, I also know that my motivation is only achieved through financial commitment and peer pressure.

Spring break brought an opportunity to be motivated. Registering for the tri, buying new pedals and shoes for my ride, and getting the daily texts from my training buddies provided me with 'motivation' I needed to get back in the pool and in the saddle this week. I managed to swim three days and ride two--wouldn't want to over do it my first week back! ha ha Im still ignoring the run piece. Perhaps Im going to need to invest in new running shoes;)

I chose to sign up for a short sprint and one I can manage with limited training time. It provides a necessary goal as well as distances that I can manage no matter what. The Redondo Beach Tri is the first weekend after school gets out--in just 9 weeks! This early summer date is a tad-bit worrisome because I know daily workouts are impossible until mid-May. Good thing Im motivated!

No comments:

Post a Comment